6 jalapeno peppers
½ cup shredded 75% reduced fat cheddar cheese
¼ cup reduced fat whipped cream cheese
4 scallions chopped fine
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
4 large egg whites
Salt and pepper
½ cup fat-free sour cream
- Preheat broiler to high. Place wire baking rack on foil covered baking sheet.
- Cut each jalapeno in half and scrape out the seeds and membranes. Place the jalapenos on the prepared backing sheet and broil until they begin to char slightly and are partially cooked (about two minutes). Allow the jalapenos to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cheddar cheese, cream cheese and half the scallions. Using a teaspoon, fill each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture, packing in tightly.
- Put flour in a shallow dish. Put the panko in a small dish. In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites with a whisk until they are extremely foamy, but not quite holding peaks.
- Working in batches, dredge the jalapenos in the flour, shaking off any excess. Add the jalapenos to the egg whites and toss to completely coat, being careful to not let any content out. Add the jalapenos, a few pieces at a time, to the panko and coat completely.
- Spread the jalapenos out on the wire rack and season them generously with salt and pepper. Spray the jalapenos lightly with cooking spray. Bake until the breading is golden brown and crispy and the cheese is melted throughout. (about 20 minutes)
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the sour cream and remaining scallions. Season with salt to taste. Serve with hot jalapenos.
Nutritional information: (6 servings)